Friday, August 29, 2008

Kangaroo Care!




My son was a month old before I was able to hold him. I would say that was probably the happiest day in my life. I was so full of emotion I had the Chaplain come and pray just to thank God for this gift. I think that was the first time I really started feeling like a mom. It is so hard to bond with a child you cannot hold. We couldnt swaddle him because he was too tiny. We had to do what is called Kangaroo Care. This is where the baby has to be skin to skin on your chest. My body heat kept him warm outside of his isollette (I call it a bread box). He could hear my heart beat and it soothed him and made him feel like he was back inside the womb. The nurses ask that you hold your baby for atleast an hour because it is alot of trouble getting a baby that tiny out with all those wires and tubes. The first time I was able to hold him was for six hours. My eyes were floating I had to pee so bad, but I was on a mission. I was determined to bond with my son. Now he is so spoiled he thinks I should hold him all the time, but he deserves it.

0 comments: